I’ll start off by saying this DIY project was a bit of a fail. After creating my DIY personalized slogan straw hat, I’ve come to realise this method was not the easiest, nor quickest of ways. After 4 hours of sewing and a few swear words later, not to mention feeling a little light headed from all the blood loss, I stubbornly completed my personalized hat masterpiece. It looks not bad from afar I must say. On closer inspection, you can see my sewing struggles. I’m now going to tell you how it was done. Alternately, for anyone who would like to skip to the new recommendation I now have, just scroll to the bottom.
Items Needed For Your DIY Personalized Slogan Straw Hat
This first step brought me back to around primary school age when I was shown tracing paper for the first time and its magical qualities. To start, I traced the slogan onto greaseproof paper, then repeated this step over the pencil outline on the other side. I then rubbed over the slogan pencil outline on to my straw hat. Afterwards I used a black Sharpie pen to make the text more visible. The second part to this DIY personalized slogan straw hat breakdown is where a lot of my patience was used up. Four hours’ worth to be precise. I’m not a pro at stitching/sewing and this being my first real attempt I’d say I did a pretty good job. Let’s just say it’s a good thing the thread was invisible. I began to sew the sequins to the hat and did some learning as I went on. About a work shift later I was finished, had a sore neck and dry eyes but I had completed this mammoth DIY project!
Here’s a few things I came across and dealt with whilst tackling this project.
- The sequin thread was separately stitched on which meant every time I cut the thread to start a new letter a couple…100..(slight over exaggeration) would jump off. It also meant I had to secure the starting sequin to the hat. I’m clueless about the correct way to tie off the thread so I did my own thing. Pulling it threw the stitching of the hat a few times and then tying it off was my technique.
- Invisible thread isn’t exactly ‘invisible’ but oh my, does it not half become invisible when you are using it!
- Stabbing yourself blindly when in full sew mode really hurts and scared me terribly like a jack in the box would do!
- I’m a ‘only need one attempt at threading through the needle’ kind of person. Yeah, For someone with bad eyesight I was surprised at that too.
The total amount of money spent for this DIY project was:
HAT – £3.00 from Primark
SEQUINS – £2.10 from
THREAD – £1.99 from Amazon
All other items I got from around the house. Which means the grand total was only £7.09 for a fun DIY personalized slogan straw hat. Although it was a 4 hour task, the end result was worth it. Minus the repetitive stabbing from the needle it was an enjoyable challenge and I’d recommend it to anyone looking for something create and different to do.
For a more efficient way this is what you’ll need:
- Slogan Text
- Tracing Paper/Greaseproof Paper
- Hot Glue Gun
With less items needed it’s already a winner in my book. It’d save me 3 hours too if I had used these items instead. Not sure why I didn’t think about using felt and a hot glue gun earlier. To conclude, I think it’s important to show that trial and errors happen and nothing comes out perfect first time round. All these Pinterest pictures and recipes aren’t always as simple as they are made out to be. Wait till you read about my DIY Ice Lollies!
Are you into mini projects like this? Let me know in the comments below.